Mommy Stories

87 Hours of Complete Pain

Part I: First 24 Hours

Saturday, December 15, 2012 began it all! All the pain, tears, swearing and screaming! I woke up that morning having expectations to go to work at 10:00 am and leaving at 6:00 pm, but my baby had different plans for me.

I went to work just like any other day. I was wobbling more than usual, but that was probably because I was due in 10 days. At this point I was completely done being pregnant–I wanted her out! She was kicking my ribs even more and I barely got sleep. I couldn’t wait to hold my baby girl in my hands, but I was also nervous to be a mom, especially since I was only 17-years-old.

Two hours pass at work and I’m feeling fine and oddly better than usually. But then it hit! THE CONTRACTIONS BEGAN! At first, I thought it was just Braxton Hicks because I went into the hospital two weeks prior, but it was just a false alarm.

I tried to ignore them because I was with customers and I didn’t want them to worry. So in the meantime, I just took note on how far apart they were contracting.

An hour went by when the contractions grew more server. They weren’t getting any closer than 5 minutes, but I knew something was wrong–I shouldn’t have been in this much pain.

My dad came in and filled in for me at work while Vinny rushed me to the hospital. I called ahead so once I arrived, I was put into the observation room to make sure that I was really in labor.

The nurses undressed me and put the hospital gown on and plugged me up to all sorts of monitors to check the baby’s heart beat, her movement, and to check the contractions.

Hours went by before the doctor saw me. He explained that he wanted to make sure that I was actually in labor and that nothing was wrong with the baby. Both the baby and I were healthy, but I still wasn’t dilated yet.

He continued by explaining that the baby is really close and he believes that I would be having this baby within the next three to four days.

I was so excited and so nervous, but I was upset because I wasn’t going to be meeting her that day.


Part II: 48 Hours In

Recap: Saturday afternoon, we left the hospital with no baby. Saturday night, the contractions were still painful and I didn’t get any sleep. I was watching a NCIS marathon.

Sunday, December 16, 2012 was a very eventful day for a woman who is 39 weeks pregnant. Since I didn’t sleep the night before. I took children’s Benadryl to sleep for a few hours.

My mom woke me up! I was struggling to wake up, but she asked me how I was feeling. I answered her, a little bit better, but I’m still sleepy. She said, “perfect, get dressed because we are leaving.”

Let me explain something about my mom. My mom is obsessed with family traditions! Both my parents came from a broken home and when they got married, they both promised each other that they would start their own family traditions to make up for their past.

My mom helped me up from the couch (the only place that actually felt comfortable to sleep) and helped me get ready. After I quickly got ready at a pregnant woman’s pace, my three brothers, my parents and I all climbed into the minivan (Vinny was working) and headed to the mall.

Santa Claus! We were going to get our picture with the jolly old man! I couldn’t believe that my parents were going to make me walk through the mall and take a picture with St. Nick!

I didn’t want to upset my mom, so I went alone with it and wobbled my way through the mall stopping every few minutes to embrace these horrific contractions. We finally got to Santa and took our picture!

After our picture, my mom wanted to shop, but I couldn’t–I could barely walk anymore. My parents got me home as quickly as they could and I tried to get some more sleep.


Part III: 72 Hours In

Recap: When my parents dropped me off home from our picture with Santa Claus, I took another dose of Children’s Benadryl and I was able to take another few hour nap. 

Monday, December 17, 2012 I stayed home all say watching a NCIS marathon. The pain was growing more painful. My mom called the doctor to see if they can see me too make sure everything is going okay and the baby is still healthy.

Around 1:00 pm, we left for the doctors. We had to take a few detours since they were redoing the highways and the pot holes were literally killing me–I’m surprised that the baby didn’t come out at that point.

I was trying not to scream when the nurse called me into the room. The doctor wanted me to lay down on the bed to check the baby’s heartbeat, but I couldn’t lay down–I was in so much pain.

After the doctors’ visit, we went back home and I continued watching NCIS.

Later on that night, Vinny came home from work and spent a few hours with me. He made me dinner and tried to keep my mind off the pain by doing some exercises we learned in our Lamaze classes. They started to help and I was able to calm down.

10:00 pm rolled around and Vinny left because he needed to be in work the next day. Everyone else in my family went to bed and I just stayed downstairs watching NCIS when the contractions began to grow and become closer together. Around midnight is when my contractions were 2 minutes apart.

I called my doctor and she told me that she’ll meet me at the hospital.

I called Vinny’s mom to wake him because I knew he wouldn’t answer his phone (deep sleeper). He lives about 7 minutes away from me and he arrived at my house in 2 minutes.

I yelled up to my parents that I was heading to the hospital and my mom said that she was going to follow us in a little bit (they had to get my little brother, 10 years old, out of bed and ready). I understood.

The car ride to the hospital was quite quiet! Then Vinny started to cry! I couldn’t believe it, I have never seen him cry before and it made me cry. We were just two big ole crying messes.

We finally got to the hospital. The nurses helped me into the gown and hooked me up to all the monitors again.

When the doctor came in, he checked me and said, “today is the day!”


Part IV: The Final Stretch

Recap: FINALLY at the hospital about to have my little bundle of joy!

On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 I couldn’t hide my emotions anymore! I was so excited that I was finally going to be a mommy and I was going to be able to hold my little girl!

Don’t get me wrong, but I was in more pain than I have ever been in my entire life! Let me paint you a picture, every person who breathed I wanted to punch in the face.

I was not yet dilated enough to get an epidural, but I was sure as hell counting down the seconds until that needle pierced my back!

THE JUICE WAS FINALLY HERE! Ahh, it felt amazing as the drug tingled down my spine and numbed my lower half. I was finally able to sleep in peace and without pain.

Eight hours past, when the doctor woke me up saying that it was time to push! I was flabbergasted that I slept through the last 4 centimeters!

I started to push when the doctor said that the baby hasn’t turned until her back yet. I had to wait!

I waited two hours at 10 centimeters without the juice!

I thought I was going to die! I wanted to punch someone! I couldn’t stop yelling and screaming. Vinny was trying his hardest to keep me calm, but it only made matters worse–so I cursed him off. He obviously forgave me, but now he knows for the future.

I finally was able to push and she was out in 1, 2, 3!

Hearing her cry was the most beautiful thing in the entire world! I couldn’t believe that she was finally here! Vinny and I couldn’t stop crying and just holding each other. We were parents! We were finally parents and we had a beautiful baby girl on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 3:04 pm!



One thought on “87 Hours of Complete Pain

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s